Welcome to Thorncombe St Mary’s Primary School. Ours is an extremely happy school, providing a caring environment in which each child can feel truly valued. We have dedicated, well-qualified teaching staff who provide a high quality education supported by well trained classroom assistants. The curriculum is rich and varied and we make the most of our environment, trips out and visitors to enhance the pupils’ experiences. The children can select from a number of extra-curricular opportunities which help them to develop their talents and interests to the full. Our small school has high expectations of the pupils in all they do and this underpins activities whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or on day or residential visits.
The Christian ethos pervades the life of the school. We want our children to feel cared for valued and safe, and, in turn, to care for and value others. We want all the children here to feel good about themselves because we know that happy, confident children will both do the best they can and make the most of school life.
Our managed partnership with Marshwood School and The Acorn Multi Academy Trust supports and strengthens our aims by offering skilled and experienced support and challenge from Andrea Rice, the CEO of the Trust. The increased pool of management and teaching expertise found across the schools; Mrs Ethelstons CE Uplyme, Axminster Primary, St Andrew’s CE Primary Chardstock, Membury Primary, Marshwood and ourselves, helps the staff to develop and share skills and knowledge and widens the curriculum opportunities for the children.
The school is set in a beautiful location with ever improving facilities such as outside play spaces including a large field, a newly developed garden, an Anglo-Saxon style roundhouse and wild areas including an established wildlife pond. In summer, we have access to the community swimming pool adjacent to the school. We strive to ensure that the school offers a stimulating, welcoming environment for children and parents alike.
The task for the governors is to monitor and oversee the work of the school. We regularly question the staff and visit the school, as critical friends. We want to know about standards, behaviour, the safety of the pupils, expenditure and the quality of the curriculum. We all strive to improve our school and to ensure that it’s vision and ethos are firmly at the forefront of all that we do.
Choosing the right school for your child is a major decision so the governors invite you to come to Thorncombe to meet the head of school, staff and pupils to see if our school will meet the needs of your child.
Chair of Governors
Instrument of Governance including term of office:
- Head Of School: Emily Smith
- Executive Headteacher: Luke Owen
- Staff Governor:
- Parent Governors: Kate Green (26/11/2015 – 26/11/2019). Kate is a resident in Thorncombe and has children at the school. She works locally for the NHS as a Physiotherapist and is married to Steve, who is a Deputy Headteacher in Taunton.
- Foundation Governors: Patricia Barnes (11/11/2013 – 10/11/2021). Patricia is a retired teacher and has lived in Thorncombe for the last 20 years and she takes an active part of many aspects of village life and is regularly at school including during the Open The Book sessions. Philip Butcher (Ex-Officio)is the Vicar of St Marys Church and the Two Shires Benefice.
- Co-Opted Governors: Robert Cahn (10/05/2017 – 09/05/2021) is a resident in Thorncombe and has a child at the School. Robert works as a Compliance and security Lead for AT&T and volunteers for the First Responders. Zoe Aspinall (07/05/2017 – 06/05/2021). Zoe lives in Chard Junction and has a child at the school and another at Woodroffe. She works as the School Secretary and her husband works for The Magdalen Project who provide outdoor learning opportunities for the school.
- Catherine Davis (6/11/18-6/11/22), lives in Thorncombe after a career in corporate communications and customer service and living abroad for 20 years. Since moving here has embraced village life – becoming chair of the swimming pool committee and becoming a governor at school.
- Cerri Killworth (6/11/18-6/11/22) recently moved to Thorncombe, has a young child and manages a wedding planning business and is a local representative for a charity, The Red Box project.
- George Eyre (2/10/16 -2/10/20) owns the Sadborow Estate and has had a long history of interest in the school.
Governors who have resigned in the past year:
- Jasmine Hill resigned as Co-opted Governor in January 2018
- Amy Clarke resigned as Parent Governor in January 2018
- Jenny Bridgeman resigned as Staff Governor in July 2018 due to leaving the school
- Melanie Pierce-Butler resigned as Chair of Governors in July 2018
- Tanya Robinson resigned as Co-opted Governor on 31st August 2018 due to leaving the School
- Tom Gregory resigned as a Parent Governor in September 2018
Chair of Governors: Patti Barnes
Vice Chair of Governors: Kate Green
Safeguarding Governor: Patti Barnes
Clerk to Governors: Charlotte Sharp e-mail: email@example.com
Parent Link Governor: Kate Green
Please see the attached files for Governor attendance at Full Governing Body meetings and Committee meetings: