St Mary’s Thorncombe School is a member of the West Dorset School Sport Partnership a group of 68 primary, middle and secondary schools working together to develop PE and sport opportunities for all young people. The West Dorset School Sport Partnership is based at its hubsite, The Wey Valley School & Sports College.
The West Dorset School Sport Partnership works towards seven key aims for ALL young people
- Increased participation in high quality physical education
- Increased participation in high quality out of school hours learning
- Increased participation in high quality informal activity
- Increased participation in high quality competition and performance
- Improved attitude, behaviour & attendance in PE and all school activities
- Increased attainment & achievement in and through PE, out of school hours learning and sport
- Increased participation in community sport, and improved quality of community life
The West Dorset School Sport Partnership comprises a Partnership Development Manager (PDM); 9 School Sport Co-ordinators (SSCos); 57 Primary and Special school Link Teachers (PLTs).
Our Partnership Development Manager is Dale Rhodes, based at The Wey Valley School & Sports College. Dale manages the partnership and is responsible for developing strategic links with key partners in sport and the wider community. The nine SSCo’s are based in secondary and middle schools, and they concentrate on improving school sport opportunities, including out of hours school learning, competitive school sport and club links, across a family of schools. The SSCo for our school is Mrs Owen.
Our Primary Link Teacher, whose aim is to improve the quantity and quality of PE and sport in our own school, is also Mr Germscheid.